The first time looking at the play, I would sincerely say that I didn’t have the interest in reading it. It was all because the typical perception towards it. “aaa….Greek plays…ermmm…no doubt it going to be hard for my brain to digest it”.
Well I should admit that on the first day stepping into the prologue, I was lost while my lecturer went through it. However I gain interest in reading the play after sometime. There are few reasons that contributed to the changes of my perception.
First and foremost, I goggled for Oedipus Rex notes on the net. Those notes gave me an overall view of the characters and the play. In my view, those notes motivated me in exploring the original play. Searching and reading notes has also given me information of other historical things that I could not find in the play.
Next is the language of the play. As for me, I thought it would be a difficult play .The reason is that Macbeth, the first play that I ever read was challenging as my brain worked overtime to ponder on the meaning of each sentence of it. Oedipus is a total opposite from it. The language was not as difficult as I thought. They were comprehensible and interesting .I loved the dialogues of each of the characters because I found that there are a lot of the usages of irony.
Lastly, the story line itself has captured my interest in reading the play. The story was well developed. I read the whole play to get myself into the actual situation in the play. As I read finish the play, certain parts of the dialogues was still echoing in my head .I realized that the play has affected me in my ways especially in the way think. This play has made me to think in broader way. The theme blindness and sights is also applicable in our daily life as the writer has emphasized in the play of Oedipus the King.
No comments:
Post a Comment