Tuesday, March 10, 2009

“You, Me and Us”

Writing a play for the first time was a wonderful experience. It was an exciting and enjoyable activity too. In my opinion, it made us to think broader and matured.
As it was my first time creating a drama, I had no idea of the theme, the characters and the story line at the starting point of writing it. As we were assigned to create of a drama related to any theme which mainly focuses on the teenagers, I could not think other than the theme of “love” and “friendship” .Those were common issues among school students. I wanted to talk about something different; far away from the common love and friendship issues.
Then later my group members and I found an interesting issue, TOMBOYS. I have heard about tomboys. They are girls who present themselves as a boy in front of the society. We found it interesting as one of my group member had has a friend like that during her secondary school. Moreover, this phenomenon can be considered as a social illness among the teenagers.
After deciding the theme, we orally draw a story line and created a main character for our story. Later we begin to write after confirming with the scenes and other characters in each scene.
We experience difficulties when putting our ideas in dialogues as the way each of the group members express their feelings and response were different and sometimes contradicting. Thus, we separated each of the scenes to each of the group members so that our ideas were not disturb by each other. However, we made a peer checking on each others work so that our members do not move the dialogue away from the story line.
After finish drafting, we edited again on the characters and the scenes as well as the dialogues. Finally, we gathered and read it. There was a satisfaction in reading and working together .

No comments:

Post a Comment