It is always not an easy job searching information about our Malaysian writers. Searching their literary works is far more challenging than searching for writers’ identity. I wonder why this happens.
I have read many literary works of our Malaysian writers. They are far more interesting than the foreign writers. I love reading our local works as I can easily understand the massage of the writer.
Yesterday was a wonderful meaningful meeting with a Malaysian writer. Kee Thuan Chye. I really admired the words he spoke. It was my first meeting with a Malaysian writer. He is a simple man with amazing thoughts. His words are not as simple as he looks.
I would like to highlight a part of his speech that triggered my interest in listening to him. We asked him about his play and why it is often played in Singapore? He said that his plays are not approved by the police as they refuse to give them permit in staging the play in Malaysia. In my opinion, I think there should be police officer who has a very good language background. This particular police man should be play writer himself .Being a police as well as a play writer will somehow make him to understand the hard work of other writers especially our Malaysian writers.
It is a waste for the country of not realizing and appreciating these Malaysian writers. I am glad that I had an opportunity or more descriptively said…Golden chance… in meeting our Malaysian writer Kee Thuan Chye. Meeting and listening to them perhaps can make us aware of the massage they would like to convey to the readers.
As a varsity student, I feel that students should be exposed to all the literary works of our writers. Reading the materials produced by our writers will somehow make them aware of this writers’ existence .In other way, it will create a space for the students to think and act maturely.
thankz for your comment on my post " When Kee Thuan Chye speaks"..i think your comment is very constructive especially when you said that why few stages, movies and piece of writings have been banned in our country..
ReplyDeletelet's take Amir Muhammad " Lelaki Komunis Terakhir @ The Last Communist" as example..that movie should be released few years ago,,but a week before it was scheduled for public screening, our happy censorhip had asked the cinemas and the producers to stop any promotion and publicity on that movie. Reason? Let me tell you here..they said that that movie will bring racial sentiment or will create chaos in our country. Funny thing was, they never had a chance to watch that movie, but why they managed to come with that order? Did they scared because of the title itself that sounded provocative. Here, we can see the level of our mentality and intelectuality.
The only way we can improve this situation is if more media, movie or writing outlets can operate freely and independently to allow for views to be contested. Do you agree ?
yeah!Izad...i agree of what u have said here...it is a serious problem either !
ReplyDeleteIt is just a matter of understanding ...and appreciataion...I still looking forward for a change ...well ..each peice of work speaks its' own truth..atleast give chance for the audience to think..! thanks for the comment izad..
I firmly agree with Dharmini and Ijad with their views.I think Kee Thuan Chye is one of the Malaysian writers who are vocal in his thoughts and speech.I think he should be awarded and given the recognition as one of the prolific and prominent writers of Malaysia.
ReplyDeleteIt was a wonderful and informative session with Kee Thuan Chye last week.I really admired the man,for his braveness in voicing out certain issues that are highly tipped as sensitive.But the saddest part is that,most of the Malaysian people are not appreciating his thoughts and views regarding certain issues.
I think we should be exposed enough in viewing or reading certain issues that are highly tipped as sensitive.I think,we Malaysian are mature enough in deciding and making judgements.We must given some freedom of speech and act rather than thwarting it before it's being put into practices.
As what Ijad says,everyone should play their part in recognising and appreciating the Malaysian writers.If not,the struggle and the hardship that they went through will be all in vain.
I agree with all of your view about Kee Thuan Chye's view about the freedom of speech of Malaysian writers. there is a lot of things and possibilities which hinder them from writing freely. the policy itself does not giving them an opportunity to write as creatively as they could. we know that every writers have their own ceative licence. However, it does not happen here. they need to obey the rules and order which set by our policy makers. Lots of them was banned from appear in public and their writing also affected. If they are lucky enough, it will be published and sold in the night market at the cheap price, see how democratic we are!!!
ReplyDelete